"I AM ENOUGH": Brene Brown's talk on vulnerability
I just finished watching 'Brene Brown: The Power of Vulnerability" on Ted Talks. She said things that really resonated with me and how I think people should live their lives. Watch it!
Quotes of Dr. Brene Brown that really spoke to my heart are:
- "To be a whole-hearted person you have to have: courage (to tell your story with your whole heart), compassion (be kind to yourself first and then to others), connection (let go of who you think you should be in order to be who you are), and vulnerability (having this makes them beautiful)."
- "Vulnerability isn't comfortable, but it's necessary."
- "We should stop controlling and predicting life."
- "We NUMB ourselves through food, shopping, medication and addiction so we don't have to feel (sad society to live in eh - one without feeling)."
- "We should look at our children and say "You are imperfect and wired for struggle but you are worthy of love and belonging" instead of trying to perfect our children."
- "We pretend what we do doesn't impact anyone else."
Basically what Dr. Brown showed from her research is that our society is struggling because we are lacking connection to each other due to our lack of vulnerability.
How do we change this problem and start living out the examples she taught?
How do we get over the fear and stop numbing ourselves and become more vulnerable in our relationships?
I'm going to start by knowing that I am enough and allowing myself to be more open and vulnerable in my relationships. Life is too short not to be.
What words from this talk really spoke to your heart? I'd love to hear.
Thank you for reading and your presence at this beach retreat. You Rock! I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts in the comment section below.
See you at the beach!